Occasionally I will read several books at the same time - locations, subjects, time of year will encourage a shift in subject throughout a reading session, and the change of topic can be refreshing. This past month I enjoyed the contrast of my two reads, the first had been suggested to me by several folks within my financial world, and the second I had instantly picked up due to my love for the author.
Atomic Habits by James Clear had been given to me by one of my wholesalers at work and also suggested to our team by our internal coach years ago. It seemed that I was not getting away from this book.
True Confessions by Fancis Maier I had heard about from Fran himself or Robert Royal on The Catholic Thing and had picked it up without thought, knowing that I have always loved being inside Fran’s head.
My first note to all reading this post is that I would discourage reading Atomic Habits, nor would I allow my kids to read it. This book is immersed in secular language / thought and as helpful as the ideas are in this book, it is headed in the wrong direction anthropologically.
On the other hand Fran Maier’s interviews of Catholics across the Church has been insightful and welcoming. Fran has a positive take on those that make up the backbone of the Church, and it is encouraging to hear the take of those interviewed on the state of things today.
A few highlights from each book to reinforce my notes:
“Your identity emerges out of your habits. You are not born with preset beliefs. Every belief, including those about yourself, is learned and conditioned through experience. More precisely, your habits are how you embody your identity.” – Atomic Habits
In contrast….
“Work began on the [Cologne] cathedral in 1248 and wasn’t completed until 1880, more than 600 years later. The man who laid the cathedral’s first foundation stone knew that he’d never live to walk through its doors and worship there. But he believed it was still worth doing because he wasn’t doing it for himself. He was doing it for the glory of God and for future generations. We need to have that same mindset today. We’re no longer working for our own generation. We’re working for several generations down the line.” – True Confessions, interview with Carl Trueman
We should all have problems with virtues becoming our identity, and we should walk carefully when an author talks about and atomic approach to human action. Secular cultures atomization of man is a dangerous path - know what you are getting into in case you read this book. On the other hand True Confessions was an inspiring read, it was like listening to a group of Catholic friends lifting each other up and inspiring each other to reach for holiness.
Both are in the library if you want to read them!

Hi Paul and Company. I thought you might enjoy Fran presenting his book in Philly recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrd_SctbF7Y
ReplyDeleteIn Christ,
Mark Samoylo