Paulie and I were driving back to Franciscan listening to "Pints" - (big surprise!) and we got into a discussion about whether you can prove Jesus existed as The Son of Man to an Atheist. I had taken the side that you cannot prove who Jesus is unless you are already open to the idea, but Paulie explained that you can, and the proof is in the bible. My son offered up this book as a good place to start in searching for those insights.
I agree this book is excellent. The author did a fantastic job of discussing different points of view fairly. I will also add that I have gained some impressive insights, and frankly I will be listening to the Sunday readings with a new insight. Brant Pitre's real impact is in offering the Jewish viewpoint on what happens in the New Testament. Wondering how to respond to someone who asks you why Jesus calls out to Heaven when on the cross "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" - isn't this proof that Jesus was not God? Or as Mr. Pitre points out, it is a direct quote from Psalm 22, in fact the starting line is meant to direct us to the salvific action that is right before their eyes and within the Psalm revealing who Christ is "all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations." Hmmm...
This book is not in our library, it is Paulie's book, but borrowable if it still in the house. Worth a read, and even though this is the first book I have read this year from start to finish it is definitely my favorite. I will add, in closing, I am not sure you can intellectually prove who Jesus is to an Atheist, and even the author admits as much in the end it does not mean we still can not try! Thank you Brant Pitre.

No comments:
Post a Comment