It would certainly please me if all the books in my library had been read so many times that the pages needed repairing and were falling away from their spines from having been read so many times. I hope this book is one such book.
Before I get into the book, one of my always-read emails is from the Substack titled "What We Need Now" -- you can subscribe to get emails here. It was started by the infectious duo - Fran Maier and Archbishop Emeritus Charles Chaput - and this last email was perfect in it's timing -- written by the Rev Peter M. J. Stravinskas -- founder and superior of the Priestly Society of Saint John Henry Cardinal Newman and quoted from the Saint himself:
I want a laity, not arrogant, not rash in speech, not disputatious, but men who know their religion, who enter into it, who know just where they stand, who know what they hold, and what they do not, who know their creed so well, that they can give an account of it, who know so much of history that they can defend it. I want an intelligent, well-instructed laity; . . . I wish you to enlarge your knowledge, to cultivate your reason, to get an insight into the relation of truth to truth, to learn to view things as they are, to understand how faith and reason stand to each other. . . You ought to be able to bring out what you feel and what you mean, as well as to feel and mean it; to expose to the comprehension of others the fictions and fallacies of your opponents; and to explain the charges brought against the Church, to the satisfaction, not, indeed, of bigots, but of men of sense, of whatever cast of opinion.
I believe that TRIUMPH is a good place to start with knowing our Church history, while being unapologetic about it. I doubt I will be able to list facts from this book without reinforcement, but I was left with a confidence boost that was much needed to defend our Church. For folks that are searching to come home I would also say this is a good place to start for those that are in pursuit of foundational knowledge.
Lastly, if you need any back subscriptions to "What We Need Now" I believe I have kept all my emails if you need any. Happy reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment