Monday, November 3, 2025

Recently Added: Bluey Season 3, Groundhog Day, In Bruges, Gran Torino, The Dark Knight Rises

Bluey:  I love Bluey, Bingo, Mum and Dad!  If you have disconnected the subscriptions, good for you!  Feel free to borrow the DVD's for your kid's (or adult) viewing pleasure.  This is a family favorite


The Dark Knight Rises -- this completes the three movie collection, feel free to watch all 3!

Gran Torino / In Bruge / Groundhog Day -- these three movies are recent additions inspired from the list of "100 Movies Every Catholic Should See."  

-  "In Bruge" may be the most difficult one to watch, it is violent and a dark comedy, but there are truths that are hard to ignore in this movie.  I have always loved this film, but it is not recommended for everyone.  

-  Groundhog Day alternatively is watchable with the family, members 12 and up, there are still scenes that will need to be skipped, you will know what they are when you see them, but it is a valuable watch.  

-  Gran Torino is probably for 15/16yr olds and up, but again a bit of a gem (a ton of language, slurs, and one inappropriate magazine.)  Walt's confession is valuable for all.  I have seen a lot of Clint's movies, this one may be his best.  To me this movie is about fatherhood, and in particular what failure in fatherhood looks like.  Gran Torino shows us that failure on the streets of a town in MI, but also the failure in Walt's own family with the massive disconnect he has with his own two sons whose families are lost in materialism.  To Walt's own admission, he failed through the sin of omission, he knew it and it weighed heavily on him his whole life.  How does Walt save his town and eventually his own soul?  I guess you will have to find out.  My only hint is I kept thinking of St. Tianzang during the conclusion of the film.  I hope you enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment